Saturday 26 December 2009

sushi night

We look like one big happy family...hehehe






Many would probably have seen my sushi pictures on facebook.

Decided to blog about it. =p I have a lot of pics that I wanted to blog about but simply is either too lazy or no time to blog.

It all started on a day in November when I had a strong craving for sushi and CF kindly agreed to buy a salmon. He went to the market and found a really fresh salmon which was quite expensive. Without the salmon, we probably wouldn't be able to have a feast like this. =p

I tried to make dragon roll which failed miserably because the avocado I bought was not of very good quality. Thank God CF managed to get some good avocados from Morrisons so that saved the salmon rolls. He also bought the sweet potatoes so we could make tempura.

I bought the miscellanous stuff to make the sushi. Anyway, we had great fun. I started preparing at 4pm. At the same time, I was waiting for CF to call me so that he could pass me the salmon. I was guessing that he was having his afternoon nap so I didn't want to pester him to bring over the salmon. By the time I got the salmon, it was 7pm. I told Gerald and Shen wei to come over at 7pm and when they got over, I had only just started preparing the salmon.

Preparing the salmon was hard work without a sashimi knife. I only had a cooks knife which I had to sharpen so many times so that I do not destroy the precious fish. Took me 40 minutes to deskin the fish and cut it into different parts for nigiri and sashimi. It was then CF surprised me with another salmon from Morrisons. So, I had to prepare the salmon again. By the time I finished preparing two salmons, it was 8.30pm which is not too bad.

We ate the sashimi and concluded that the salmon from market was so much fresher compared to the salmon bought from Morrisons. Morrisons salmon tasted as though it was thawed after being freezed even though the fishmonger from Morrisons told CF that it was caught on the morning itself. The salmon from the market was caught 2 days earlier yet it tasted so good. I was surprised by CF skills in choosing salmon because the salmon was so fresh. I admit I was worried beforehand that his money may be wasted if the salmon wasn't fresh and I might not make any sashimi or nigiri if that was the case.

Sushi night was great. The next time I am making sushi again would probably be in 3 months time. In the meantime, all of us are scared of salmon because we had an overdose that night! =p

No comments:

Post a Comment